Manager, Business Development & Sponsorships
Reports to: Senior Director, Individual &
Department: Resource Development & Marketing
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision 100% coverage for staff and dependents
The Manager of Business Development & Sponsorships is responsible for creating new business relationships for United Way California Capital Region. This position is responsible for leading the Small Business Program, as well as securing event and program sponsorships. This position recommends and executes creative strategies to assure measured growth and development within the business sector of our community. The Manager of Business Development & Sponsorships will place a major emphasis on developing a current base of small business partners while identifying and developing strategies for new prospects. This position will identify, solicit, and secure new sponsorships from businesses and individuals in the community. The Manager will coordinate and execute the stewardship of both sponsors and Small Business members. Ultimately, this position is responsible for assuring UWCCR meets or exceeds goals for the Small Business Program and sponsorships.
- Raises significant new undesignated financial resources each year by establishing and expanding the current base of business partners.
- Identifies and develops strategies for new prospects.
- Creates awareness of small business initiative and United Way mission and brand through public speaking engagements, presentation and memberships and leadership in business, civic, professional, and networking organizations.
- Provides direct leadership, recruitment, supervision and management of all small business partners, special initiatives, and special event fundraisers.
- Provides direct leadership, supervision and management of Small Business Program Leadership Council.
- Achieves annual goals under supervision of the Senior Director, Individual & Leadership Giving.
- Assists in all United Way initiatives, projects, and events as needed and serves on various committees as requested.
- Provides support to staff and volunteers, maintaining continuous contact to monitor and motivate.
- Create a marketing plan for business development to include partners, events and projects and work in conjunction with the marketing department to provide materials, event logistics and media relations.
- Develops and maintains databases and financial tracking systems for new business partners.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, including the ability to communicate well in a variety of settings with a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to develop strong rapport and relationships with stakeholders.
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising best practices and/or business development fundamentals.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to create results through influence management.
- Experience and expertise working with volunteers.
- Ability to develop and use creative and innovative methods and the judgment to know when innovation makes sense.
- Ability to use independent judgment and make sound decisions.
- Ability to effectively coordinate with other United Ways.
- Ability to build and retain quality relationships with business and community leaders.
- Ability to expertly represent United Way in public settings.
- Good proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to utilize social media as a tool for marketing and communication.
DESIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, Marketing or a related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in these or related fields such as sales, ideally with experience fundraising and/or business development.
- Experience developing and implementing successful fundraising initiatives.
- Experience with account or client management.
- Experience working directly with donors on fundraising efforts.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Extensive oral communication with coworkers, potential donors, media and the public in settings ranging from one-on-one to large groups including formal and informal presentations, training sessions and question and answer sessions, and by telephone.
- Work in an office environment, lift and move objects up to 40 pounds such as large binders, books, boxes, and small office equipment.
- Have sufficient finger/hand coordination and dexterity to operate and adjust office equipment such as telephone, computer, and calculator.
- Use telephone, laptop, computer, monitor, mouse, keyboard, printer/copier, calculator and standard office equipment
- See and hear within normal range.
- Sit at a desk for long periods of time.
- React quickly under high pressure settings.
- Willingness to travel locally and overnight via plane, train or private vehicle.
- Ability to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to maintain a polished professional appearance.
- Occasional exposure to dirt, dust, cold, heat.
- Constant public contact.
- Constant decision making and concentration.
- Possession of an appropriate California operator’s license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles, and adequate automobile insurance; possession and maintenance of a good driving record (as evidenced by freedom from multiple or serious traffic violation for at least a two-year duration) that does not contribute to an increase in UWCCR insurance rates.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to Steve.Mclaughlin@uwccr.org. Only resumes with a cover letter will be reviewed.